Welcome to the University of Leicester, Department of Mathematics Wiki for MA3101 Irreducible Polynomials and Squaring the Circle.
This course looks at field theory and its application to solving the three classical Greek problems of ruler and compass constructions. In particular, we determine whether or not [math] \pi [/math] is a constructible real number.
- 1 Revision of Linear Algebra prerequisites
- 2 The three classical Greek problems
- 3 Chapter 1: Basics of Ring Theory
- 4 Chapter 2: Polynomials
- 5 Chapter 3: Field Theory
- 6 Ruler and Compass Constructions
- 7 Chapter 4: Solving the three classical Greek problems
- 8 Help on writing the wiki
- 9 Wiki Group Work 2018/19